Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
8 ounces peanut butter
8 ounces cream cheese, brought to room temperature
4 ounces unsalted butter, brought to room temperature
8 ounces confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Combine the peanut butter, cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl. Using a hand-held mixer, mix until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy.
2. Cover and keep in a cool place until ready to use. The filling can be made a day in advance and refrigerated -- just bring to room temperature before filling the cookies.
16.3 ounces smooth peanut butter*
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ cups granulated pure cane sugar
1½ cups light brown sugar
2½ teaspoons baking soda
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 cups rolled oats
1. Combine the butter and peanut butter in a bowl and, using a hand-held mixer, mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the sugars, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla until combined. Fold in the oats. Cover and refrigerate the mixture until slightly chilled, at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets 2-inches apart, and flatten the top slightly. Bake until lightly golden brown and just set, about 10 minutes. Let cool on the sheet pan on a baking rack for 5 minutes. Remove from the cookie sheet and let cool on the baking rack completely before filling.
5. Put the filling in a pastry bag and place a dollop of the icing on half of the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies. Store in containers with tight fitting lids in a cool, dark, place.
*This does not work well with natural peanut butter! The B-Team recommends Skippy