February 1, 2015
Watch Laurence make the latkes in this step-by-step video
Makes 12-14 3-inch latkes
2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed, dried and cut into 3½-inch pieces
1 small Spanish onion, peeled and cut in quarters
1¾ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablsepoons finely chopped parsley
Canola oil for frying
Apple sauce for serving (optional)
Sour cream for serving (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 250°. Shred the potatoes and onion quarters in a food processor using the shredding attachment.
2. Working in batches, place a quarter of the shredded potato and onion mixture in a clean kitchen towel and wring out as much moisture as possible over a bowl, reserving the liquid. Continue with the remainder of shredded potatoes and onion. Set the bowl of liquid aside and allow contents to settle.
3. Put the wrung potatoes and onions in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1½ minutes, stirring halfway. Remove from the microwave and spread on a sheet pan to cool for 5 minutes.
4. Pour off the brown water from the reserved bowl of potato liquid, taking care to retain the white starchy layer that has settled at the bottom of the bowl. Add the beaten eggs to the starch and beat with a fork to combine. In a large mixing bowl, use your hands to mix the cooled potato and onion shreds, the parsley, the egg and starch slurry, and salt and pepper until all ingredients are incorporated, taking care not to overwork the mixture.
5. Heat a quarter-inch of oil in a nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-high. Test the oil with a potato shred: it's ready when the potato bubbles immediately upon contact with the oil. Using a quarter-cup measure as a guide, portion out latkes and place in oil, using a spatula to spread each out to a 3-4 inch diameter. Cook undisturbed until a deep golden brown, approximately 3 minutes, then flip to cook other side.
6. Remove the cooked latkes from the oil with a slotted spatula and place on a sheet tray lined with a wire rack and a layer of paper towels. Place tray in a preheated oven and repeat with until all are cooked and ready to serve. Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream.