Pickled Shrimp Deviled Eggs with Cornichon Remoulade
Yields: 24 deviled eggs
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup white wine vinegar
½ cup water
2 cloves garlic chopped
½ Spanish onion, chopped
1 tablespoon pickling spice
2 whole dried chile de arbol (or ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes)
12 large shrimp (21-24 size) peeled and deveined
¼ cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
1. Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, water, garlic, onion, pickling spice and chiles in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, reduce to a simmer and let cook for 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature.
2. Fill a bowl with ice water;set aside. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook for 1½ minutes. Drain and plunge in ice water to stop cooking. Drain and pat dry. Add the cooked shrimp to the pickling liquid, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
3. Drain the shrimp well and put in a bowl; add the hot sauce and toss to combine.
12 hard cooked eggs
1 cup prepared mayonnaise
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
4 cornichon, finely diced
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons finely sliced chives
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Smoked paprika, for garnish
Parsley leaves, for garnish
1. Peel hard-cooked eggs, slice in half, remove yolks to medium bowl and mash to a paste with a fork. Place the egg whites, cut-side up on a large plate or platter.
2. Add the mayonnaise to the mashed yolks and mix until well combined. Fold in the mustard, cornichon, dill and chives and season with salt and pepper.
3. Fill the egg whites with the mayonnaise mixture and top each egg with one of the shrimp, garnish with parsley leaf and sprinkle each shrimp with a pinch of smoked paprika.