November 16, 2017
Olive Oil Brownies with Toasted Bread Crumbs
This recipe can be found in Bobby's newest cookbook, BOBBY FLAY FIT, which will be released on December 5, 2017!
Bobby Flay Fit can be pre-ordered via Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million, iBooks, and Indiebound.
MAKES 12 BROWNIES
Nonstick cooking spray
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cutinto cubes
3 ounces high-quality unsweetenedchocolate, coarsely chopped
2 ounces high-quality bittersweetchocolate, coarsely chopped
½ teaspoon espresso powder
2 large eggs
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed light brownmuscovado sugar
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons mildextra-virgin olive oil, such asSistema Organa
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of fine sea salt
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 ounces coarsely choppedsemisweet chocolate
½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons mild extra-virginolive oil
Olive Oil–Toasted Bread Crumbs
Baking with olive oil may seem strange to Americans, butMediterranean cooks have been doing it for centuries withgreat results! Olive oil gives baked goods, such as cakes,cookies, quick breads, and muffins, a lovely fruity, floral flavoras well as a light texture. More important, olive oil is a healthyfat choice that cuts back the cholesterol and saturated-fatcontent of desserts. But rest assured that these are stillbrownies, and richly flavored ones at that; a small square witha cup of espresso is all you need to satisfy a sweet tooth.
1. Make the brownies: Put a rack in the middle of the oven andpreheat the oven to 325ºF. Spray an 8-inch square baking panwith nonstick spray. Line with foil, leaving an overhang ontwo opposite sides. Spray the foil.
2. In a medium, heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, combine the butter, unsweetened chocolate, bittersweetchocolate, and espresso powder. Let the mixture melt over lowheat, stirring occasionally. Remove and let cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and sugars together untilsmooth and pale. Add the olive oil, vanilla, and salt, and whiskuntil combined. Add the melted chocolate mixture and whiskuntil combined. Fold in the flour and the chopped semisweetchocolate and mix until just combined.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.Bake until the sides are slightly puffed and set but the centeris still a bit gooey, about 25 minutes. Be brave: Underbakingthe brownies is one of the secrets to their fudgy texture. Coolthe brownies in the pan on a wire rack, about 2 hours, thenrefrigerate them for 30 minutes.
5. Make the glaze: In a mediumheat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, combine ¼ of the chocolate chips andthe oil. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Add theremaining chips, remove from the heat, and stir until smooth.Let cool for 5 minutes. Pour the glaze over the brownies.
Sprinkle with the bread crumbs. Let set for at least 10 minutesbefore serving.
Olive Oil–ToastedBread Crumbs
MAKES ABOUT ¾ CUP
2 tablespoons mild extra-virginolive oil
¾ cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon sugar
Pinch of fine sea salt
In a small sauté pan, heat the oilover medium heat until it beginsto shimmer. Add the bread crumbs
and toast, stirring constantly,until light golden brown, about5 minutes. Stir in the sugarand salt and cook until slightlycaramelized, 2 minutes. Transferto a plate and let cool com