July 3, 2019
While our boss traveled to Italy recently, we couldn’t help but to dream up a summertime Italian dessert to enjoy in NYC. Like many of our summer recipes, the requirement for this dessert was two-fold: it would need no time in the oven and could be made from pantry staples. “Baking from the pantry” as we like to say, extends beyond the cabinets and starts in the refrigerator — especially during warm weather months when we're craving lighter and refreshing sweets.
Just like you would stock your cabinets with flour, sugar, chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, oats and graham crackers for anytime desserts, we also suggest always having your refrigerator well-stocked with milk, heavy cream, eggs, butter and fresh fruit. This week, we also had mascarpone cheese, lemon curd and amaretti cookies from Eataly in our test kitchen, so we quickly brainstormed and thumbed through a few cookbooks and landed on our no-bake lemony mascarpone amaretti cups. These are inspired by Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos’ Mascarpone Amaretti Cups and Ina Garten’s Mocha Ice Box Cake, two of our very favorite layered no-bake desserts (and three of our favorite people). The beauty of this recipe is that you can really alter it to accommodate what you already have on hand. Biscotti instead of amaretti cookies? Also delicious. Jam instead of lemon curd? That works perfectly too.
Lemony No-Bake Mascarpone Amaretti Cups
1 1/2 cups very cold heavy cream
8 ounces mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
4 tablespoons lemon curd
2 cups amaretti cookies, crumbled
Raspberries, for garnish
1. Using a standing mixer with the whip attachment or a hand mixer, combine the cream, mascarpone cheese and sugar.
2. Mix, increasing the speed slowly, until firm peaks form. Fill the mixture into a piping bag and set aside.
3. Mix the crushed cookies with the Kahlúa and stir until combined. Reserve 1 tablespoon of crumbs for the topping. Spoon a layer of the cookie mixture into each glass.
4. Pipe the mascarpone cream into each glass, followed by the lemon curd and another layer of cookie crumbs.
5. Repeat and top with fresh raspberries and reserved crumbs.