Smoked Chicken Pot Pie with Sweet Potato Crust
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium Spanish onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 tablespoons flour
4-5 cups whole milk, heated
¾ pound cremini mushrooms, quartered and sauteed until golden brown
2 turnips, peeled, cut into medium dice, blanched and drained
2 carrots, peeled, cut into matchsticks (about 2-inches long by ¼-inch thick), blanched and drained
½ cup each red and white frozen pearl onions, blanched and drained
1 cup frozen peas, blanched and drained
1 chicken (about 3 lbs) roasted, smoked and shredded , optional or add 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo or 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika to the base sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour and cook until deep golden brown. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook until thickened. Reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. If the mixture is too thick, thin with a little extra milk.
2. Add the mushrooms, turnips, carrots, onions, peas and chicken to the sauce and gently fold to combine. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.
Sweet Potato Crust
1 pound AP flour
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces and chilled
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large egg
½ cup whole milk
1 cup sweet potato puree ( (about 1 large sweet potatoe, roasted, peeled and pureed in food processor)
2 large eggs, beaten with a few tablespoons of cold water (for egg wash)
1. Stir together the flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Cut in the butter. Stir together the egg, milk and potato puree in a bowl, add the mixture to the flour and gently mix with a rubber spatula until just combined. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and lightly knead the dough until it just comes together. Form into a circle and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
2. Divide the dough in half and roll each half out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Invert individual bowls on the pastry sheet and, using a sharp knife, cut circles around the outside of the bowls, slightly larger than the bowl itself. Fill the crocks 3/4 of the way with the chicken mixture, making sure each serving has a nice amount of chicken, vegetables, and broth. Carefully cap each crock with a pastry circle, pressing the dough around the rim to form a seal and brush the tops with the egg wash and season with salt and pepper. Make a small slit in the center of the dough using a paring knife.
3. Bake the pies on baking sheets (or serve family style bake in a 10-inch casserole dish until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.) 15-18 minutes for individual about 25 -30 minutes for family style. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before eating.