May 3, 2019
Yields: Approximately 2 dozen
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus 1 cup for dusting the finished cookies
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup finely ground pecans, walnuts or almonds
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cream the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the zest and sugar and continue beating until combined and mixture is light and fluffy; add the vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Add the nuts, flour and salt and with the speed turned to low, mix until just combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough until firm, at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Form the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet 2-inches apart. Bake until the bottoms of the cookies turn lightly golden brown around the edges, about 15 minutes. Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet and let cool completely on a backing rack.
6. Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar and the cinnamon in a large, shallow bowl; roll the cooled cookies in the mixture.