April 8, 2014
Serves: 4 as an appetizer
Hot Pepper Dressing
2 cups red wine vinegar, plus 2 tablespoons
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper
¼ cup finely diced yellow bell pepper
¼ cup finely diced poblano chile
1 small jalapeno chile, finely diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
Salt and pepper
2 whole hot peppadew pepper, quartered
1. Put the vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, cook for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the sugar and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about ¾ cup and syrupy in consistency, about 15 minutes.
2. Carefully transfer the mixture to a nonreactive bowl (glass or stainless steel) , stir in the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Let cook for 5 minutes and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar and the peppadew pepeprs. Cover and keep warm while you make the salad.
Crispy Lobster and Squid
1½ cups rice flour
1¼ cup water
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 quart canola oil
1 pound lobster meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
½ pound squid bodies and tentacles, cleaned and bodies cut into ¼ -inch rings
Parsley sprigs, for garnish, optional
1. Whisk together the flour and water in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature while the oil heats.
2. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or pour into a 6 or 8 quart saucepan and heat over medium heat until the oil reaches 365 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Put the lobster on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Put the squid on another plate and season with salt and pepper.
3. When the oil reaches the proper temperature, begin dipping the lobster, in batches, in the batter and removing with a slotted spoon allowing excess batter to run off. Fry the lobster until golden brown and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove with a clean slotted spoon or spider to the paper towel-line baking sheet. Season with salt. Once the lobster has been fried..Repeat the exact process with the squid. Spoon some of the hot pepper dressing onto 4 large plates, mound the fried lobster and squid on top and garnish with parsley sprigs. Serve immediately.