Summer Corn and Shishito Pepper Salad:
¼ cup olive oil
3 cups fresh corn kernels (approximately 4 ears of corn)
¾ cup thinly sliced shishito peppers, stems removed
¼ cup quick pickled red onions, recipe below, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the corn, season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar and cook until tender, about 2- 3 minutes. Place cooked corn into large bowl and set aside.
2. Using same saute pan, lightly wipe clean and add 2 tablespoons of oil and heat until oil begins to shimmer. Add the shishitos and season with salt and pepper and cook stirring occasionally until tender, about 1-2 minutes. Place shishitos into bowl alongside the corn.
3. Fold in the remaining ingredients: the pickled onions, lime juice, cilantro and chives. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed.
Quick Pickled Red Onions:
1 ½ cups red wine vinegar
½ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons grenadine
½ tablespoon Kosher salt
1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1. Make the brine: combine the vinegar, lime juice, sugar, grenadine, salt and ½ cup water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook, whisking a few times, until the sugar has dissolved , about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
2. Place the onions in a nonreactive container with a lid and pour the brine over the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 48 hours before serving. The onions will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.